Sunday, June 22, 2014

Books 58, 59, and 60: The Internet Girls series by Lauren Myracle

Angela, Maddie, and Zoe are the winsome threesome, BFFs, since middle school. The course of the series takes the girls from age 15 to high school graduation, and through various trials and tribulations of high school friendship, including alcohol and drug use, new relationships, gossip, sex, preparing for college, etc. The "thing" for these books is that they're all told entirely through IM chats (although I think the updated versions call them texts; they have screennames, so I don't know who they think they're fooling). I think these books originally came out around the time that I was in high school, although they've recently been updated for ebook and the new decade, which is one of my pet peeves. Even with the pop culture references updated and references to iPhones sprinkled in, the mid-2000s feel is still present enough to make me nostalgic for my days of high school AIM chatting, the inside jokes and BFF group name, the crushes, the worry about growing apart from friends. Myracle hits some of her topics more on the nose than others, but it was great fun to have my hish school experience come rushing back to me with such clarity.

I've heard these books have been banned because of language and the girls' frank discussions of sex. I'm not sure how I would've reacted had I read this when I was a high schooler as well; obviously Myracle's characters will be more advanced than some teens and less than others. In my opinion, these discussions were meant to be more helpful than salacious. Still, something to keep in mind before reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment