Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Book 57: The Subversive Copy Editor by Carol Fisher Saller

I admit it—I miss studying. Now that I'm out of school, I miss curling up to do assigned reading, taking notes, and trying to remember to apply what I've learned to assignments. Now that I'm out of school and in the workforce, almost like a real adult, most of my learning is either self-guided or of the depressing learn-from-your-mistakes variety. I recently got the urge to read a bunch of books related to my job as a book editor as a sort of less visually stimulating version of a training montage.

Written by the Chicago Manual of Style's online Q&A editor, The Subversive Copy Editor assumes a familiarity with the basics of editing and style and spends the majority of its pages on dealing with authors and coworkers (advice may also be helpful when dealing with self-appointed grammar police). Saller stresses cooperation and flexibility over adherence to any one style, which is a nice reminder if you're in a position in which arguments over comma placement can send you into a rage spiral at any given moment. Saller has a great sense of humor and the book is a surprisingly fun read, given its topic. If you have to deal with writers or editors, or just find yourself frequently mediating grammar disputes, this book's call for compromise makes it a useful addition to your library.


No comments:

Post a Comment