Sunday, June 8, 2014

Book 56: The Djinn in the Nightingale's Eye by A. S. Byatt

A. S. Byatt's Possession has been on my to-read list forever, but I found this little gem of a book for only a dollar at a used book store, so I snapped it up. The Djinn in the Nightingale's Eye is a book of five stories, like fairy tales for adults.

Each of these stories has a wonderfully dreamlike quality, which makes the book perfect for late night plane rides or vacation readings. The final story, which shares the book's title, is easily the most complex, about a middle-aged divorced storyteller who finds a djinn during a vacation in Turkey. It reads like a love letter to fables and myths.

1 comment:

  1. That's exactly what I felt - this would be perfect to read on a journey. Byatt is one of my favourite short story writers; you should try her other collections. :)

    ReplyDelete