Saturday, May 24, 2014

Books 50, 51 & 52: The Selection trilogy by Kiera Cass

When The One by Kiera Cass came out earlier this month, I started reading it only to realize that I really needed to go back and reread the first two books to fully enjoy the conclusion to the trilogy. It's all good, brainless fun. The worldbuilding is totally lacking, the dystopia is unbelievable, and the plot beyond the love triangle is flat, but damn if it isn't hard to put down. I'm a sucker for fairy tales. some spoilers ahead...

The conclusion to the trilogy was mostly satisfactory. I enjoyed see America grow to take more of an interest in ruling and improving the country. I hated how America was trapped in a room during the final battle; I get that she was never a warrior, but it was still disappointing to have her miss what  felt like the climax. Also the backlash from Maxon when he found out about Aspen was pretty anti-climactic. The ending seemed super rushed, so I felt a bit jilted. And Aspen and Lucy was just a little too pat. You can't have a love polygon without a few hurt feelings, Cass!

No comments:

Post a Comment