Sunday, May 11, 2014

Book 43: Maggot Moon by Sally Gardner

I'd been hearing good things about Maggot Moon, Sally Gardner's dystopian middle-grade novel, for quite a while, and when I saw it on Diversity in YA's list of Diverse Dystopian YA Books, I decided to bite the bullet and download it to my Nook.

I can see this being required reading in middle school classrooms. It was much more confusing than I was expecting for a middle-grade book, so I think it could really benefit from discussion. I was so eager to find out what was happening in the book, I completely missed that the narrator was dyslexic! And that the story took place in an alternate-history Nazi controlled England. There's a lot here, and I should've slowed down to take it all in, and I should've enlisted a friend to read it along with me.

I liked the alternate history, and all of the space race discussion was pretty awesome. The narrator's POV was unique, and I could cry for how brave he was at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment