Friday, January 24, 2014

Book 9: Revelations by Genevieve Pearson

I read this book because the author, Genevieve Pearson, was a contestant on the 2013 season of the TBS reality show Revenge of the Nerds. Genevieve was absolutely charming on the show, so when I read that she was an author I was eager to give one of her books a try, and I'm so glad I did.

Revelations is the story of Kyrie, a young woman living with her mother in her small Texas hometown, working a part-time job while she saves up to go to college somewhere far away. As small as the town is, Kyrie immediately recognizes that the well-dressed group of four that walk into her store are new in town, and her intuition warns her they are up to no good. As the story unfolds, Kyrie learns that she is a nephilim, half-angel and half-human, the four strangers are the biblical four horsemen, and Kyrie is the only thing standing between them and the end of the world.

I think the primary charm of the story is the protagonist and her internal dialogue. She's quirky, strong, and fiercely loyal, and many passages had me laughing out loud. It was refreshing to see a character face some dark situations with her sense of humor intact. There were a few questions that I felt weren't quite addressed (the limitations on Kyrie's Silvertongue ability, for example), but overall this book was a pleasant surprise, and I look forward to to reading the sequel and trying the author's other series.

No comments:

Post a Comment