Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Book 8: Incarnate by Jodi Meadows

I think I was so disappointed with this book only because I was really excited by the premise: in Range, there are a million souls that have been reincarnated over and over. In thousands of years, Ana is the first new soul to be born. On her eighteenth birthday, Ana sets out to the city of Heart to discover why she was born and what happened to the soul she replaced. It's an awesome idea for a plot, and I only wish the author had stuck with it!

The book wastes the majority of its focus on the love story between Ana and Sam, a citizen of Heart who stands up for Ana to the council. The drawn-out romantic build-up and Ana's total inability to think or focus whenever Sam was around got tiresome, especially given the number of questions left unanswered! The whole thing about the temple and walls with a heartbeat, and the city found millennia ago, ready-made for the people of Heart, and why the dragons specifically sought out Sam and the temple in their attacks, all of these are plot points that I'd hoped would be answered, or at least given more attention by the protagonist. This is the first book in the trilogy, but I haven't decided yet if I want to read the next two. Like I said, really good premise, but disappointing execution.

No comments:

Post a Comment