Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Book 11: Friends with Boys by Faith Erin Hicks

So cute! So this was the graphic novel book club read I missed when I moved out of Virginia, but Nathan liked it so much he bought me a copy for Christmas, and I'm so glad I have it! This graphic novel is about a formerly home-schooled girl's first year of high school and her relationship with her three older brothers and her new friends Lucy and Alistair. And there's a ghost!

The art is super cute, and the characters are all likable and relatable. Hicks does a great job of portraying all the little tragedies and rivalries of high school in even just a few wordless panels. This is more of a vignette than a story, but it's no less engaging for being a little light on plot. I'd love to read more with this group.

1 comment:

  1. enjoyable characters, and nicely drawn. i like how hicks manages to draw a bunch of characters that are clearly related, but individually recognizable

    ReplyDelete