Monday, March 10, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Ghost Stories

 Top Ten Tuesday topic is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.




This week's topic is Top Ten All-Time Favorite Books in X Genre, so I picked my top ten ghost story books! Not all of these are scary, so even if you're not into horror you might find something you'd like. :)


1. A Fine and Private Place by Peter S. Beagle: This is one of my favorite books of all time. It's sort of like a grown-up version of Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book. Both the prose and the story are heartrendingly beautiful.

2. The Ghost and Mrs. Muir by R. A. Dick: This is the sweetest little story that left me feeling warm and happy. The relationship between Captain Gregg and the widowed Mrs. Muir is adorable. I haven't seen the 1947 film adaptation yet, but it's on my list!


3. Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill: By Stephen King's son, Heart-Shaped Box is one of the scariest books I've ever read, but the journey of aging rock star Judas Coyne, who bought a vengeful ghost on the internet, is compelling.


4. A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb: Another favorite of mine in any genre. The love story between the two ghosts is one of the best I've ever read, and the writing is gorgeous.


Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories #1)5. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz and Stephen Gammell: A childhood classic! These stories and illustrations were burned into my subconscious from many a late-night sleepover reading.

6. The Ghost and Goth by Stacey Kade: More funny than spooky, this YA book has humor and heart. Popular cheerleader-turned-ghost Alona and goth loner Will have a great dynamic together.

7. From the Dust Returned by Ray Bradbury: The inspiration for The Addams Family, this book is best read under covers on a chilly October night.

8. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman: I alluded to this one earlier, but it really is a sweet book . . . about a boy living in a graveyard, befriended by ghosts. Neil Gaiman  has a wonderful handle on the parallel sensations of magic and fear that are so integral to childhood.

9. The Shining by Stephen King: You can't mention ghosts without thinking of the infamous Overlook Hotel!

10. The Woman in Black by Susan Hill: The book is much spookier than the Daniel Radcliffe film. Haunted houses isolated by haunted swamps, secret rooms, and tragic histories are the perfect backdrop for a good spine-tingling ghost story.

6 comments:

  1. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark is the best scary stories compilation ever. Having that on there just made this so legitimately perfect. Haha. Great list! :)

    http://okletsread.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I heard they changed the illustrations in later editions, which makes me so sad! The illustrations were so integral to that book!

      Delete
  2. I'm not much of a scary book reader, but I am intrigued by some of the books on your list this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love how stories about ghosts don't necessarily have to be scary to be engaging; I hope you find something you like!

      Delete
  3. I've only read Horns by Joe Hill, and that was more disturbing than scary. His NOS4A2 is already on my TBR. This one sounds pretty good too, actually; I'd like to read it!
    The Graveyard Book is one of my favourites by Gaiman. He is so good at the imagery and atmosphere. I did find Coraline much scarier than this one, though! The Other Mother freaked me out.
    I have read a couple of novellas by Susan Hill and they were all very evocative and creepy. I've heard a lot about The Woman in Black and you do make it sound like the classic ghost story.
    Of course, the list had to include The Shining!
    I love me some ghost stories, so I'm surprised how few I've read from your list. Can't wait to get my hands on the others. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Horns and NOS4A2 are on my TBR list for sure! I also loved Joe Hill's graphic novel series Locke and Key; I'm a sucker for stories about spooky old houses with hidden secrets.

      Delete