Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Book 34: Ordinary People by Judith Guest

I saw pieces of this movie in a college psychology class, so when I saw the ebook on sale at Barnes and Noble, I snapped it up. Conrad Jarrett is coping with his brother's death and his own recovery from a suicide attempt and depression. His father, Cal, is also struggling with the discovery that his perfect family and perfect marriage aren't all that they seem to be on the surface.

This is a great little book about depression and the journey toward independence and adulthood. Guest's depiction of depression is spot on, and her portrayal of the Jarrett family is nuanced and layered. I love how the family dynamic gains more and more depth as the book goes on. I want to watch the movie all the way through now! B+

No comments:

Post a Comment