Monday, February 24, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books I Read in 2013

 Top Ten Tuesday topic is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.




Today is a Top Ten Tuesday Rewind! Since I started this blog in 2014, I chose to do the Top Ten Books I read in 2013 so I'd have a chance to mention some of my favorite books from last year.

1. The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero and Tom Bissell: About the making of The Room, one of the best bad movies ever! I do love The Room, but this book can stand on its own merits as well. It had me laughing out loud at some passages and tearing up at others. It really does a good job at depicting the utter ridiculousness of Tommy Wiseau's movie-making plans without mocking him or undermining how hard he worked to make his ridiculous dreams come true.

2. Under the Light by Laura Whitcomb: A Certain Slant of Light is easily one of the most beautiful books I've ever read, and the sequel, while not quite as magic, was a joy to read.


3. Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick: It was chilling to read these personal stories from former North Korean citizens. It's easy to read, and the personal stories from the six individuals profiled have more impact than any statistic.
 

4. If I Stay and Where She Went by Gayle Forman: These books were so sad but so uplifting at the same time. Good reads.

5. Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh: I love Hyperbole and a Half! Brosh is hilarious, and she has a real talent for portraying every nuance of expression with simplified drawings. Her stories about her dogs and her childhood are priceless!

6. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell: All of Rainbow Rowell's books were amazing, but Fangirl so far is my favorite. I loved reading about Cath's first year of college, her fears of growing apart from her twin, and her worries about growing up.


7. Tenth of December by George Saunders: This was a Rumpus Book Club pick, and it's probably one of my favorites from there. Lots of complex short stories here; each one gives you a lot to think about.


8. Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion: I love zombie movies, but I very rarely enjoy zombie books, so I really wasn't expecting to like this one. I also hate when the monsters that frighten me are turned into saccharine romantic heroes, with neither fangs nor depth. This book was a happy surprise, and though I still prefer my zombies scary, R was certainly endearing.


9. Where'd You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple: I love how this book managed to surprise me by humanizing characters that had seemed like one-dimensional nuisances. Books like this always remind me to show more empathy toward people who irritate or antagonize me in real life, which I appreciate. 


10. Hild by Nicola Griffith: About Saint Hilda in seventh-century Great Britain. This book felt epic! Definitely a good pick for a fan of Game of Thrones, but maybe looking for some more empowering female characters and some historical accuracy.


Bonus! Pivot Point by Kasie West: Like I mentioned in my review for the sequel, Split Second, I loved the dual points of view from Addie's two diverging powers. I would love to have this super power; I'm so indecisive that I'd probably use it for every tiny decision I had to make.

4 comments:

  1. Nice list! Where'd You Go Bernadette was one of the best books I read last year--so much to think about and so much humor! I also loved Fangirl--almost as much as I enjoyed Eleanor & Park--and Tenth of December has been on my TBR list for quite awhile. And--Hyperbole And A Half--what a one-of-a-kind book that is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where'd You Go Bernadette was hilarious, and it made me want to start planning a trip to Antarctica. I hope Allie Brosh writes more books; she's so talented!

      Delete
  2. I loved Where'd You Go Bernadette! It was so unexpected. I definitely want to read Hyperbole & a Half and Fangirl. I've never heard of Nothing to Envy but it sounds fascinating. I'll definitely have to pick that one up. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Nothing to Envy is definitely heavier than the other books on this list, but it's worth reading. And Hyperbole and a Half is so funny! She has a pretty great blog, too.

      Delete